Friday, August 6, 2010

Is it in the DNA?

OK-forewarning-NO pictures in this post. Trust me, it is not a picture topic.

Ever since I had Max I have become more and more aware that boys are born with an internal love for all things mechanical. He never had to be taught that Hot Wheels were for boys or that a lawn mower is something that guys get to fiddle with during the summer. He just knew. He has always love books about trucks, mud, loud noises etc, more than stories with a good plot and pretty colors. (I am sad about that one-John Deere just doesn't have the best in the way of intrigue.) I have come to the conclusion that it is just something that all males have in their DNA. Which brings me to this dilemma.

Why are butts funny?

Really! Why?

I am sure all parents out there agree that in the first few years of life (for your child) privacy for both parents and child) goes out the window. When Max was small I would take him in the bathroom with me and lay him on a towel while I showered or used the "facilities". Our house is also set up so that there is NO delineation in our bedroom situation-we all share the downstairs of the apartment. Sooo-we are usually all around each other while getting dressed. One day we hope to regain SOME of our privacy...I cant imagine Max wants to remember too much about seeing his mom or dad getting dressed as he grows up. lol... sigh... and so we return to my question...Why are butts funny?

As I get dressed Max will usually be doing his own thing-cars, books, destruction...you get the picture. But AS SOON AS-and I mean IMMEDIATELY-when I pull off my pj bottoms and reach for my jeans he starts laughing and pointing. At. My. Butt. (this goes for Cody also) I assure you that we both wear appropriate skivvies. But where did my child acquire this appalling idea that butts are funny? To add to that, he has now decided to start trying to smack me on the bottom while laughing! Results-I have to stand on my bed or hide in the laundry room to put on pants. I solemnly swear that this is NOT behavior that he is modeling from his father or I. The only other people he is around on any regular basis are my parents (I THINK NOT!!) and Cody's grandparents (I don't want to even imagine!)
So....Is this just in his DNA?

Nature vs Nurture?

We always correct him and tell him that it isn't nice or funny to do what he is doing (not in so many words-remember he is 19 months). But I am beginning to wonder...this just isn't normal.

Thoughts? Advice?

Help?!

1 comment:

  1. IGNORE IT!!

    seriously, he'll stop if you give him little to no reaction.

    at least I'm 90% sure. :) When he starts slapping you, just quietly turn around and ignore it. THAT will tell him it isn't funny or something to pay attention to.

    Also, I think it is DNA. It just floors me every time I see Sam with her babies and stuffed animals. She cradles them, washes them, kisses them, dresses (or attempts to) them, feeds them. WHERE did she learn this from? She's the baby...and her "dainty-ness" it's crazy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete